Skip navigation

no spam, unsubscribe anytime.
Skip navigation

I was 45 and raising my 3 year old granddaughter when I went for my regular mammogram on 09/15/05. I received the "call" on 09/16/05 to inform me that there was something and there would be further tests. I went for the Compression Mammogram (translation - they just squeezed harder) on 09/26/05. On 09/29/05 I was told by my surgeon that there was only a 20% chance of cancer. I told everyone that I had an 80% chance it was not cancer. Because I was large breasted and my lump could not be felt I had to sit with my breast compressed while they shot a needle with a wire to the lump to lead the surgeon to the correct spot during the biopsy procedure. I cried for 1st time. Because the surgeon did not come to see me following the procedure I thought I was okay. However, when I got to my family I realized that I was wrong. My mother had that "look" and my daughter was crying. I was diagnosed with cancer on 10/05/05.

I was shocked when the surgeon explained I would have both breasts removed. I had a bilateral mystectomy on 10/21/05 and while I was recovering from the surgery and taking 8 rounds of chemo I was given custody of my 2nd granddaughter that was 3 months old. I still had a court battle ahead of me but she was safe.

I have been cancer free for 3 1/2 years and my granddaughters are now 7 and 4. They are the light of my life and help keep me young and strong. I have chose not to wear a prosthesis and I have not had reconstuctive surgery yet. I am contempating it but right now I am comfortable the way I am.

Lorrie Brewer
Tulsa, OK

Read other stories!

Love our Stories of Hope?

You can purchase 100 Inspiring Stories From The Breast Cancer Site for your Kindle. Makes a great gift too!

The Breast Cancer Site Home Page

Your click on the "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button helps fund free mammograms for women in need — low-income, inner-city and minority women whose awareness of breast cancer and opportunity for help is often limited. Your click is paid for by site sponsors, and mammogram funding is provided to clinics throughout the U.S. through grants distributed by With a simple, daily click of the pink "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button at The Breast Cancer Site, visitors help to provide free mammograms for women in need. Visitors pay nothing. In addition to clicking the pink "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button, visitors can help more by shopping in The Breast Cancer Site store. With each item purchased, shoppers generate funds that provide free mammograms for women in need.

Emerald Peacock Shower Curtain
Share this page and help fund mammograms: